Old September 7th 07, 06:52 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Akuvikate

Default pancreatic enzymes in colitis?

On Sep 6, 4:20 am, (Beth Kevles) wrote:
For bloody stools ... figure about one week for the allergen to clear
mom's system, one week to clear the baby's system, and one final week
for the baby's gut to heal. So a 3-week elimination is definitive.

For your Spanish-speaking mom, it might help to give her a list of
"safe" foods to eat during this period. If you email me the list of
things she's eliminating (bethkevles at aol dot com) I'll see if I can
put something together for you.

For the first week she avoided just dairy, and for the second week she
avoided dairy, soy, wheat, egg, nuts, citrus, fish, and shellfish as
best I recall. I made the list from common allergens, not anything
particular to the situation. I'd be reluctant to try to create a list
of safe foods as I might well not think of basic staples of her
cuisine that are safe (I don't know exactly where in Latin America she
comes from) and might over-represent things that she and her family
aren't all that interested in eating. It was almost comical to read
one website that recommended nothing but range-fed turkey and some
obscure grain for a week or two. Last I checked the WIC package
doesn't include vouchers for Whole Foods (though would be lovely if
they did, and stopped giving gallons of juice to all my obese
pediatric patients).

Kate, ignorant foot soldier of the medical cartel
and the Bug, 4 years old
and a little something else due 4/11/08