Old March 1st 04, 11:52 AM
Donna

Default Re-phrasing - Poll: (was: reasons I've heard for not breastfeeding)

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message

dunno, I hadn't got that far in my thoughts, was considering doing it as a
poll, I am particularly interested in the reasons why people decide before
the birth not to breastfeed.

I'm interested in that, as well.

My neighbor wanted to nurse, and planned to nurse, but ended up switching to
formula after about a week - I'm not sure of all of her reasons. One reason
that she spoke about was that she didn't feel at all emotionally comfortable
with the idea of nursing, or with the physical sensation - she tried to
pump, and was able to do that for six or eight weeks, bless her heart, but
it was kind of doomed to failure, I think. It's rare, I suspect, to have a
successful experience when one is only using a pump, and not nursing. She
seemed to have had a real aversion to the sensation, however.

An opposite to that its there any reasons why
people do breastfeed, are you more likely to be sucessful if you make a
consious desicion to do it for at least a certain lenght of time etc.

Well, I breastfed my daughter for a number of reasons - primarily the
medical benefits that I read about, but also to burn calories (I got huge
with my last pregnancy), to have the experience of it, and because everyone
I was involved with during my gestation considered it to be the norm (sort
of "Oh, well, when you start nursing..." rather than "*If* you nurse...").
I had originally planned to nurse for a year, but around 7-8 months, I just
kind of started to wear out. DD was interested in solid foods, and was
growing really well, and I was really tired of the depressed libido
side-effect that I was having. My husband was tired of that, too. So
we weaned at about that point.

FWIW, I'm hoping that, like everything else in this pregnancy, the
depressed-libido thing will not be as severe with my son. I'd like to try
to nurse him for the full year. I'm shooting for it, anyway.

Best wishes,

Donna