Old April 20th 06, 04:57 PM posted to misc.kids

Default Sleep and older children

In article ,
dragonlady says...

In article ,
"Sue" wrote:

For the parents of older children, when did you stop telling your kids when
to go to bed and letting them decide when to go to sleep? This can be during
the school year and summer please.

It wasn't an age, and it was different for each of them.

I told them that when they could get up on their own with an alarm
clock, and get ready for school and out the door on time without ANY
help or interferance from me, and do it every day for two weeks, they
could set their own bed time.

One did it fairly young, the others not until they were 13 or so. (And
the one who did it young is a morning person, anyway -- he always went
to bed about the time I'd have sent him, anyway, and got up easily.)

Once they were doing that, I let them set their own bedtime during the
summer, too.

I've been doing that for my 13 year old, and he *does* get up and ready
(including breakfast) and out on time each and every day. But I'm reconsidering
since some reports have come back about nodding off in class.

Thing is, we're both nightowls by nature, and he tends to want to stay up with
me.

Banty