Old September 6th 07, 07:16 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sarah Vaughan

Default pancreatic enzymes in colitis?

Akuvikate wrote:
Anyone know of any research on giving mom pancreatic enzymes to help
babies with bloody stools despite mom attempting an elimination diet?
I found one study from 1999 in the Journal of Pediatric
Gastroenterology & Nutrition but it had a whopping 4 patients and is
nearly 10 years old. It would seem sensible to follow this up with a
stronger study but I haven't found anything. I have a patient with
this problem and though part of the problem may have been not giving
the elimination diet sufficient time to work, would be interested in
this possibility. As I suspect it would involve a battle to get the
enzymes covered (I believe they're a pretty expensive drug) I would
need to have some evidence to back me up.

I'd have thought your best bet would be to contact the company that
makes the stuff and ask them. They're bound to have every scrap of
evidence favouring their drug on file, and would be delighted to share
it in the cause of getting someone to buy it. ;-)

All the best,

Sarah

--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell