Old June 9th 05, 06:13 PM
Mary W.

Jamie Clark wrote:
I think this has become a control issue, and you are going to have to
completely let go of potty training for a month or 3 or 6. Stop talking
about it, stop pushing it, stop asking him if he wants to use the potty.
You could continue to talk about "when he's ready to go on the potty" while
you are changing his diaper, but you can't make it a big deal. Instead of
what you are saying when you are changing a poopy diaper, you need to say
something innocuous, in a conversational tone, like, "You made poopy in your
diaper. Mommy's going to clean you up. When you are ready to make poopy in
the potty, we won't have to change your diaper any more, and you can wear
big boy pants."

You have to stop reacting. Just let this be for a while, then pick it back
up later.

This is great advice, Jamie. LA, really try to just let it go. We had
struggles with my daughter, and ended up with her with-holding which
led to constipation and a whole host of problems. We should have just
taken a deep breath. Pulled out the diapers and let it go for awhile.
2 is still quite young to be potty trained, and he does have the control.

Now, some things that did work for us were sticker reward charts
and candy rewards for pooping on the potty. But if I were you,
I'd just put him in diapers and resign myself to changing poopy
ones. Don't let it escalate, and the only person whose response
you can control, is yours.

Mary W.