Old June 9th 05, 06:39 PM
Jamie Clark

We do jelly beans and chocolate chip cookies. When we first started, Taylor
got 1 jelly bean for pee, 1 jelly bean for toots while sitting on the potty,
and 3 jelly beans for poop. Then after it was clear that she had the hang
of sitting on the potty, we took away the jelly bean for tooting, and
switched the reward for pooping to a chocolate chip cookie.

Taylor is funny, she comes and tells me at least half of the time when she
has to go "pee pee on the potty" and the other half, she just goes in her
pull-up. I think it's an issue of not wanting to stop what she is doing.
Or, I'll ask her if she wants to go use the potty, and she'll say no. I'll
say, "if you go pee pee on the potty you can get a jelly bean..." and
she'll say, "OKAY!" and run to the bathroom. That girl is motivated by
jelly beans! Although she doesn't always pee on the potty, she's at about
90% for poo on the potty, which suits me just fine.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

"Mary W." wrote in message
Jamie Clark wrote:
I think this has become a control issue, and you are going to have to
completely let go of potty training for a month or 3 or 6. Stop talking
about it, stop pushing it, stop asking him if he wants to use the potty.
You could continue to talk about "when he's ready to go on the potty"
while you are changing his diaper, but you can't make it a big deal.
Instead of what you are saying when you are changing a poopy diaper, you
need to say something innocuous, in a conversational tone, like, "You
made poopy in your diaper. Mommy's going to clean you up. When you are
ready to make poopy in the potty, we won't have to change your diaper any
more, and you can wear big boy pants."

You have to stop reacting. Just let this be for a while, then pick it
back up later.

This is great advice, Jamie. LA, really try to just let it go. We had
struggles with my daughter, and ended up with her with-holding which
led to constipation and a whole host of problems. We should have just
taken a deep breath. Pulled out the diapers and let it go for awhile.
2 is still quite young to be potty trained, and he does have the control.

Now, some things that did work for us were sticker reward charts
and candy rewards for pooping on the potty. But if I were you,
I'd just put him in diapers and resign myself to changing poopy
ones. Don't let it escalate, and the only person whose response
you can control, is yours.

Mary W.