Old May 30th 06, 11:26 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Should I Wake Baby?

Hi there,

DS (3.5 months, healthy weight gain) has been sleeping technically
through the night (5-6 hours) for a while now. (I'm not sure why I wake
up to feed him - I have no alarm, and he doesn't seem to be awake, but
perhaps he just snuffles enough to wake me up.)

Last night he slept for 8 hours, and while that's a nice occasional
treat for me, I'm inclined to think it's probably a bit long for such
young baby and my breasts to go without a feed on a regular basis. Thoughts?

I'm also wondering if anyone knows off the top of their head any web
references advising on general rules of thumb for how long you should
let babies sleep through the night (at different weights or ages)?

Kelly Mom, Ask Dr Sears, and LLL seem to be fairly generalised rather
than specific, i.e. saying it's normal for some babies to not sleep
through the night, and they may need to wake during the night to feed.

I'd like to know for future reference, because the answer for a
3-month-old will likely be different from the answer for a 1-year-old.

...oo00OO Loopy OO00oo..

PS Sorry for such a long mail, just trying to anticipate all the
questions that will come back at me! LOL