Old May 9th 04, 02:07 PM
shirley

Default Sibling rivalry --was: two questions about age "milestones"

My 9 year olds (almost 9.5) are at not only separate classes but schools and
sibling rivalry is a matter of life. We try to get each involved in
something else but there is still the "STOP IT" yelled at an volume of 10
and "you are a worm" (their vocabulary doesn't grow much either), and many
other things. We usually say knock it off, but in a car or close together
they can either be their worst enemies or best friends. Bribing works but
not all the time. Short of telling them "I don't want to hear that" and
using the arbitration table if the problem is huge, I believe it's just
being brothers and sisters. My pediatrician said that he and his twin could
not go down a hall without slugging each other to see how hard they could
hit the other one. Generally mom never caught them but he said they lived
and are the best of friends (now in their 60's). So I believe it a fact of
life, without letting them go too far and get too hurtful. Apologize if
they have to after something really gross is said "you eat green
unmentionable". Anyhow, they even pick up more fun things in school. Good
luck.

Shirley

"Terri and Rob" wrote in message
. ..
I think putting them in separate classes next year will make it at least
a little better. I don't experience sibling rivalry within my own
children yet, but I am a teacher and have had experience with older
twins. It is usually recommended by my principal that twins be put into
separate classes because that way they get a break from each other.
Otherwise they are pretty much together 24-7 which is bound to instill
conflict in anyone. As for your current situation, I have no answers,
since I have not experienced it in my own children yet.

--
Terri & Rob
Colton (11-29-00)