Old March 1st 04, 03:22 PM
Anne Rogers

Default reasons I've heard for not breastfeeding

Oh yeah, from what I've been reading, the better breast pumps for
daily use run somewhere around $250-300. I guess compared to several
months of formula, that might even out in the end. I do still have
the fear that I'll pay for the expensive pump, and then end up having
to wean the baby to formula anyway and will have wasted a lot of money
that we don't really have to waste.

you don't have to wean the baby to formula, you can continue to breastfeed
as much as you can without drying up. The Ameda Purely Yours is slightly
cheaper and seems to be as good as the pumps in the range you suggest.
It's certainly possible to continue to breastfeed and just use formula
when you have to, a lot of mums do it, it might not be best, but it's
certainly better than entirely formula and any amount of time you
exclusively breastfeed for is fabulous, when will you be going back to
work?

There is a yahoo group pumpmoms which you might find very helpfull if you
do end up pumping lots.

*sigh* It's good to hear so much encouragement for women to bf, as I
agree that it's absolutely the best thing possible for babies. I just
wonder sometimes how well some bf-advocates really understand the
fears and/or realities that many women face when it comes to the
logistics of it all. Please consider that when you think you are
hearing "whiney" excuses from other mothers.

I think I do understand, breastfeeding is why I have taken over a year out
from my phd, I realised I couldn't manage to pump and complete the study I
needed, so I'm taking time out, it means it will be longer before we can
have our next child (as I need to finish the phd) but that is a sacrifice
worth making.