Old July 6th 06, 04:18 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Carlye

Default Second bout of mastitis -- what can I do about this?

Chookie wrote:

I think in the first place, I'd be a bit suspicious of his latch. Are you in
pain/discomfort at any time when he's feeding?

No pain or discomfort whatsoever. In fact, even with the mastitis,
breastfeeding is more comfortable than pumping.

Secondly, I'd suspect that your bra is not a good fit. Did you buy it before
or after your milk came in? Most of us can survive on a 'best guess' bra, but
perhaps you can't, this time. It can be expensive to get one fitted, but
department stores may offer free fittings if you are lucky.

I bought some of my bras before, some after. I have stopped using any
underwire bras and am now opting for cupless "sports bra" type nursing
bras. I don't -think- that's the problem. Actually, I wonder if the
problem could be as simple as one night of not getting to breastfeed as
much as usual and having to sleep on my opposite side? DS was
hospitalized Friday night and I didn't have my pump with me, plus in
order to sleep next to him in the hospital I had to sleep on the
opposite side, which is usually the more engorged side. Could this do
it?

Thirdly, you might want to try lecithin supplements -- some people swear by
them.

I will try this.

Just as a tail-end question: are you very engorged, or still oversupplied with
milk? I've had this and will advise if you need it.

I'm still somewhat oversupplied, but not too bad. I try to pump the
excess and usually get no more than 10 extra ounces a day, usually
less. Granted, I just let myself be a little overinflated at night --
I don't get up to pump in the night.

Thanks for your help!!

-Carlye
DS 6-2-06