Old May 18th 07, 02:33 PM posted to misc.kids
xkatx

Default Gift ideas for a 13 year old girl (tomboy)

wrote in message
ups.com...
On 16 May, 06:14, "xkatx" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

My niece is a little tomboy who's not into pink, or make-up &
dresses. Any gift ideas for a 13 year old girl? Thanks.

I was more like that at that age, and that wasn't too long ago...
-CDs or DVDs?
-Soccer ball/basket ball/football?
-Betta fish in a small (1gal) tank or nice little betta bowl?
-Books?
-Neat, low-maintenance plant (like a cool looking cactus, air plant or
something)?

I dunno...
If all else fails, even a gift card for her favorite store or even a gift
certificate for something like the local movie theater could be an idea.
Tomboy or girlie-girl, at 13, I think most kids like the movies!

Does she like certain activities? Maybe a new fishing rod/sleeping
bag/tent
might be something to look at if she likes camping. A new baseball glove
if
she likes sports. A new band hoodie or T-shirt if there's one you can
find
of her favorite band. Maybe if she plays a guitar/bass/violin/etc, new
strings or a pick. If she's a drummer, a new set of drum sticks. Does
she
like to take pictures? Maybe a new little digital camera (since the
price
of digital cameras has gone down so much, you can get a nice little
camera
for pretty cheap) New earphones/case/speakers/etc., for her iPod (if she
has
one) Does she have a prepaid cell phone? Maybe a phone card and a gift
card
from some place?

I remember we got a betta fish for my brother one year not long ago for
his
birthday. He, at maybe 15, thought it was such a cool gift. Another
year,
or maybe the other brother (can't remember!) we got him one of those air
plants. We got DS1's older brother a cactus for a Christmas present this
last Christmas, and he was turning 14 soon after. I know these examples
are
boys, but they're around the same age.
Just some ideas?

I think it's cruel to keep fish in these tiny containers, usually
without any filtration.

A small amount of still (unfiltered) water for a betta is their natural
habitat, and they do not breathe air that comes from filtration or air
bubbles in the water.
Naturally, they often live in shallow water, and they jump, basically, from
puddle to puddle. They are not schooling fish, and *can( be aggressive to
other (different breeds) of fish. It's very, very common to find betta
living in the rice paddies in Thailand, not in lakes, rivers, oceans, etc.,
but can be found in small, shallow, slow moving streams.
Quick search on google brought me back a few hits, and these were the top
matches.

http://www.centralpets.com/animals/f...h/fwf4446.html
http://www.plakatthai.com/smarag.html
http://www.majesticbettas.com/

If you believe that it's cruel to keep a betta in a small container without
filtration, that's not really an educated reason.
Any other fish, basically, needs a properly set up tank. IME, the bettas I
have had in my community tanks live far shorter and stressful lives than
those I've kept isolated in betta tanks. Goldfish, OTOH, I have seen in
bowls and that is a sad situation as goldfish do require lots of filtration
due to being, generally, dirty fish. They also require air in the water to
breathe properly.
And yes, I currently have a small tank of a single goldfish, a couple large
tanks of cichlids, a large tank of freshwater and a true brackish tank. I
have a small betta in a small betta bowl as well, and he's been around for
just under 3 years now. I have also done the marine, which lost it's fun
for me long ago.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article38.html
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takea...ltl=1179473380

A search on Google will return many such hits.