Old February 20th 06, 05:42 PM posted to misc.kids

Default Question for religious parents

To give a bit more information about my particular situation:

I have a father who is very mormon and who is very bullheaded about it.

I have a grandfather-in-law who is very catholic and is very bullheaded
about it.

I have a father-in-law who is very protestant and is very bullheaded
about it and has already warned us several times that we might be going
to hell.

We are very quiet and private about the way we look at these things.
Even when invited into conversations about religion we tend to politely
avoid it. I think we've been traumatized by the 3 people mentioned
above. We have no interest in making anyone atheist and we have no
interest in people forcing us to see thier side of religion.

We are live and let live kind of people. The community we live in has
tons of religious people who are very vocal about it. (I'm not going to
say what religion because that will drag this into a debate about this
or that religion and I'm trying to avoid that because it's not the
point.)

We were going to homeschool our daughter but we decided we wanted to
expose her to the kind of community we live in because we really don't
have any plans of ever moving. We love this area a lot and we are
willing to take the good with the bad.

It is true that there are atheists that are very bold and forceful
about it, but from what I've seen that is few and far between. The key
is that most atheists don't think that a person is going to be damned
for eternity for practicing a religion.

One other thing I've noticed, religious types tend band together when
they find out someone they love is an atheist. My father and FIL never
had any kind words to say about the other when it comes to religion.
But soon as we showed signs of being non religious they had all kinds
of nice concessions to make for the other person. I found that strange.