Old May 4th 05, 05:08 AM
Nan

On Wed, 04 May 2005 04:02:18 GMT, dragonlady
wrote:

In article ,
Nan wrote:

Unfortunately, the mother apparently would not come to get
the child until she got off work so the school personel were
in a situation where they would have had to have a principal
or teacher or aide staying with her and monitoring her until
that time.

I'll play devil's advocate and say I wouldn't want to be in the
position of having to monitor the child for possibly an entire day
just because the mother couldn't be bothered to come get her.

That's kind of harsh. You don't know the mother's position. She may
have been in a position that she would get fired if she left her post,
or where she was the only clerk on duty in a store and couldn't leave
until the next person came in. She may not have had transportation
until her shift ended. There are lots of people who cannot walk off
their job without getting fired.

She may have been called to the school frequently, and her boss said,
"Once more and you're fired."

"Couldn't be bothered" is uncalled for unless you know all of the
circumstances.

True, and I don't know all of the circumstances. However, it is a
parent's responsibility to make sure there is available transportation
or supervision for their children. It's why the schools want
emergency contact info. The problem lies in parents that have the
mentality that the school is their free babysitter, and don't have
alternative plans for exceptional circumstances.

Apparenty, at least part of the problem was that, instead of campus
police, who are trained specifically to work with out of control
children, the city police were called.

Elementary schools around here don't have campus police.

But you're right: I would not want to have to be responsible for a
child who was trashing a room and hitting me for the rest of the day.

Nan