Old January 8th 04, 06:05 AM
Jon Walters

Default Rant: Over indulgent parents strike again

Paul wrote:

http://archive.thebrunswicknews.com/...ws%0A%09%09%09

Hopefully the link above works, I found this while cruising the web. Not two
weeks after christmas and two children in this sleepy little town have
already been hit by cars while riding scooters that their best friends
(parents) indulged them with this holiday season.

IMO, these parents should be held civilly and criminally liable for the
damage to the vehicles that these children of theirs caused.

I have witnessed these children on numerous occasions lately breaking nearly
every traffic law imaginable except for speeding on these things - which I
assume these scooters are not capable of. Among the violations and/or
dangerous acts I have seen my self include disregard for traffic signals,
disregard for stop signs, riding on sidewalks, riding on the wrong side of
the road and darting in and out of traffic and otherwise acting in an
unpredictable manner. Also, (atleast in GA), these kids are violating the
law simply by taking these scooters on public rights of way since they must
be at least 15 years of age to operate one off private property and they
must also have a DL or Learner's Permit.

It would be nice if the police would start to crack down on these idiot
kids - hitting their parents in the pocketbook would be a good start.

rant off

--
Paul

First of all -- the kids of this generation are spoiled
and "do no wrong" in the eyes of their parents. They are
right and you are wrong .... especially when a 13 year old
wanted $40 to shovel the snow from my sidewalk recently. I
told the kid I'll give him $10 and he walked away. Good. I'll
wait until it melts before I pay that much.

About 7-8 teens (12-15) received these motor cycles/scooters
this Christmas and they ride (speed) up and down the street
and don't even use helmets! The law here requires helmets
for bicycles so you'd think the parents would demand they
wear them .... but they (kids) always get "their way" but
this will change when one of them is seriously hurt! They even
ride through this neighborhood at night with no lights attached
to their motor cycles. Where are the parents?

Jon