Old September 9th 07, 12:11 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
betsy

Default Fussiness at the breast

On Sep 4, 1:22 am, Jolande wrote:
One other thing it could be is that he's not thirsty at all, but just
wants to suck for comfort, and then finds that milk comes out when
he's not really in the mood. Does he strike you as hungry? Because
you could just try giving him different kinds of comfort (singing,
dancing, cuddling, craddling, etc...) instead.

I had way too much milk for my first. Although I had decided we would
not use pacifiers, I ended up changing my mind. After 3 days in a row
where she screamed for 5 hours straight in the evening it became very
clear to me that she just needed to suck but couldn't handle any more
milk. I fished out the pacifier from the hospital gift bag and she
finally was able to calm down and sleep. We only used it when she
really needed to suck and couldn't handle any more milk. By three
months, things started to even out and she rarely needed it. By four
months, the pacifier had long been a thing of the past.

--Betsy