Old March 12th 07, 05:20 AM posted to misc.kids
Chris

Default Behind the ear Discharge?

On Mar 11, 8:26?pm, Professor of sour cabbage soup
wrote:
My 1 year 3 month old son has some strange discharge behind the
ear. That's not from inside the ear, it is from behind the ear, in a
crevice where the skin of the outer ear meets the back of the
head. The discharge dries to a substance that looks like dried egg
yolk. The kid is not scratching that area, and looks generally
happy. I cleaned that area with water and dried with tissue paper, but
the discharge continues and that area stays wet.

Should I worry, and is there a medical term that I should read about.

-Poscs

I've only seen it once personally in older kids; they were my mom's
best friend's kids. My mom cleared it up with good washings behind the
ears and applications of baby oil there with Q-tips nightly. My one-
year-old will get a rash there if I don't apply either Baby oil or
Eucerin there at least every other day or two. Good luck. My mom tried
to tell me to put the baby oil behind the ears when I had my first
baby, but I skipped it for a while once thinking it would probably not
really matter and that it was an honored tradition only that she was
trying to pass down. He then developed a little crack back there,
despite me washing behind the ears, and that yellow gunk you speak of.