Old February 18th 04, 08:57 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Default Induction: When is it necessary?

CD wrote:

Hello,

I just discovered this newsgroup and have enjoyed reading all of your posts.

I am 41 weeks and 2 days and am a first time Mom (due Feb 9). I really
would like to give birth with as little intervention as possible. However
they induce at 42 weeks at our OB/midwives office. I am afraid that
induction will cause much unnecessary intervention and might lead to a C
Section.

Do you have any similar stories? I am hoping to go into labor naturally
prior to 42 weeks but am concerned that I might not and then what do I do?
Should I do the induction? If so any recomendations on how to induce to try
and avoid pitocin-epidural-pitocin-C Section? They said they try the bubble
first and then if that doesn't work then they break water and then if that
doesn't work they do pitocin. Anybody had similar situation and what did
you do and how did it turn out?

Do you have Henci Goer's book, _The Thinking Woman's
Guide to a Better Birth_? She has a whole chapter on inductions/
post dates that I think would be very helpful to you. Basically,
there's no easy answer and what you'll want to do can be a
very personal decision. She also gives lots of strategies
for dealing with an induction if you choose that course at
42 weeks.

Best wishes,
Ericka