Old February 18th 04, 10:19 PM
Larry McMahan

Default Induction: When is it necessary?

CD writes:
: Hello,

: I just discovered this newsgroup and have enjoyed reading all of your posts.

: I am 41 weeks and 2 days and am a first time Mom (due Feb 9). I really
: would like to give birth with as little intervention as possible. However
: they induce at 42 weeks at our OB/midwives office. I am afraid that
: induction will cause much unnecessary intervention and might lead to a C
: Section.

: Do you have any similar stories? I am hoping to go into labor naturally
: prior to 42 weeks but am concerned that I might not and then what do I do?
: Should I do the induction? If so any recomendations on how to induce to try
: and avoid pitocin-epidural-pitocin-C Section? They said they try the bubble
: first and then if that doesn't work then they break water and then if that
: doesn't work they do pitocin. Anybody had similar situation and what did
: you do and how did it turn out?

: Thanks,
: Crystall

my wife gave birth naturally at 42 weeks 3 days, and at 42 weeks 6 days.
Both of these would have been inductions under the rules you state.

There is some actual danger of going over too long. The two most likely
ones are placental calcification, which reduces nutrients to the baby,
and reduction in amniotic fluid which make birth more difficult. Both
these can be monitored by u/s. They will also try to tell you that
there is danger caused by a larger baby, but if your birth in a good
position (not lying on your back or semisitting) this is mostly a load
of crap.

What I would suggest that your counter their induction at 42 weeks with
an offer to do twice weekly ultrasounds until the baby delivers. If
any problems are noted on the ultrasound, then you can do the induction.

Good luck,
Larry