Old July 22nd 03, 12:47 PM
Robert

Default "Proof" of payments in Texas

Good luck is all I can tell you!
I too live in Texas, and my child support was modified last fall, which I
expected to happen, and didn't have a problem with that.
The problem that I have is that my divorce was final in May of 1995; the
judge did not sign the divorce decree until the first week of July 1995.
There was a period of 5 weeks of child support that I did pay; my lawyer had
me to send the checks to her office, where my ex wife picked them up and
signed for them.
I was never given credit for those 5 weeks, after arguing all of this time
and providing proof of the checks (front and back) to the Texas Attorney
General's office. So, when we went to court for the modification last fall,
my lawyer explained it all once again, gave them all the proof. My ex does
not deny that she received the money; the AG agreed to give me credit for
the payments, as well as to remove all accrued interest, (which now has the
arreage up to around $1000); Now, 9 months later, I have still not been
given credit, the AG's office treats me like I'm crazy, they have no record
(once again) of the proof of payments that I gave them. They tell me
different stories; they tell me to wait, it takes time; they tell me I have
no business calling about this matter, that only my lawyer can handle this.
Instead they are still charging me interest each month, and also entered a
judgement that I have to pay an extra $30 per month toward arrearages.
Now, my check has been garnished since December 1995, and I have worked for
the same company all of this time. I have been given credit by the state
for everything from the second week of July 1995 through the point in
December 1995 that my company began making the payments. All of the payments
have been made by the company I work for although there are a few payments
that were made late, though, which is beyond my control. The AG's office
says there is nothing they can do about that; even though they have
garnished my pay, and required my employer to withhold the cs $, and make
the payments, it is still my problem, and they can't / won't do anything
about that either.
So, good luck if you're paying child support in Texas!
"JSW" wrote in message

I realize this may not be the exact best newsgroup for this, but I
couldn't
find one dedicated just to father's rights, specifically dealing with

child
support.

I'm in Texas and have been paying (overpaying, actually) for the last

5.5
years. However, I have been making these payments directly to my ex as

we
agreed to that in the beginning. However, due to some recent events I

filed
with the Attorney General's office to have them start garnishing my

wages
so everything would be "by the book", and to get it reduced to what it

rightly
should be. Now, of course they have established a case and show that I

owe
$45,000 because nothing shows up "in the system".

They are telling me I have to go back and get copies of all those

checks.
Yes, I know I should have kept them...but, I can get them it's just that
it will take time and probably $200-$300 by the time it's all said and

done.

If you're familiar with child support options in Texas, is there another
possible solution? They mentioned that she could come in and sign an

"Affadavit
of Direct Payment" stating that I was current and had been paying her

directly,
but they said she would have to provide the dates, $$$, etc...and I know
she doesn't have that either.

Help!!!