Old January 14th 05, 02:59 AM
dragonlady

In article ,
(Catherine Woodgold) wrote:

I think that could do a lot more harm than good,
especially since he probably doesn't have complete
control over his peeing. I doubt he wants to
pee in his snowsuit at all.

I can't see any downside to having a 10 yo wash his own snowpants.
Heck, I did that with one of my kids when she was about 5: she didn't
want to wear diapers to bed, but she had no nighttime control. I got
her a cheap sleeping bag so it would be easy, and told her she didn't
have to wear a diaper, but if she didn't I'd expect her to throw her
sleeping bag and PJs in the washer when she got up in the morning if
they were wet. That's what she chose to do. (Her brother, who had
nocturnal enurisis until he was 14, chose to continue to wear diapers,
instead, moving to Depends when the child diapers got too small.)

In this case, it IS likely that it is happening because he's trying to
hold it too long. I'd suggest to him that it's less likely to happen if
he goes just before he goes outside, and comes in periodically, or at
the first sign that he has to go, to use the toilet -- but when he DOES
have an accident, you want him to put all the clothes he was wearing
directly in the washing machine and start it.

As long as this isn't accompanied by any shame based lectures, I can't
see it as a harmful thing to do -- only a way of giving him some
additional control. With this approach, he doesn't even have to tell
his parents that he wet his clothes, and can handle the aftermath by
himself.