Old July 27th 03, 02:11 AM
dragonlady

Default nutrition question on year old

In article ,
blacksalt wrote:

dragonlady wrote:

As far as the iron goes, you might want to consider suplimental iron
(ie, mineral tablets)

How do you get a baby to eat a tablet. The liquid can stain teeth (I've
seen this), and, a minisule iron supplement constipates me **terribly**.
I'd prefer to put it in something with fiber.

Sorry -- I can't help with that.

if you are concerned that your baby isn't getting
enough iron in their diet. However, another way to "fortify" the baby's
diet is to do the majority of your cooking in cast iron pots and pans.

For myself I do cook tomato sauce to add iron. I suspect all that acid
would make his little behind a little red. I recall that the tomato
acidity is especially helpful in leaching the iron out of the pan. If I
were feeding him the diet my mother fed us (omnivore with fresh veggies
and whole grains) I wouldn't worry, but no meat makes me concerned about
iron. I wasn't given a single vitamin my entire childhood (only 3 asprin
and no MMR, so I got very bad measles at 27) because of my mother's
"natural" leanings, and I'm all for that, but I'd rather skip the meat
these days.
Things are alittle tough because I'm the cook and the person with
education, but FOB is the homedaddy. I have to leave clear, basic
intructions, like "today feed him A,B, and C" because I work so many
hours. I actually sometimes line the food up.
blacksalt

When I was having a problem with anemia (pregnant with twins) I cooked
everything in cast iron, even boiling potatoes or making oatmeal. I
know the acidic stuff is supposed to get even more iron, but I think
even just scrambling eggs or cooking veggies gets at least some.

I don't think I'd worry excessively about the iron, however; once the
baby starts eating table foods, just make sure you include the foods
that have lots of iron. I know a lot of vegetarians -- including folks
who are raising their kids vegetarian -- and none of them seem to have
had any real problems with iron. Even the handful who have gone all
the way to vegan eating seem to do just fine, as long as they learn how
to do it properly.

meh