Old March 25th 04, 04:43 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Default Opinions on induction??

Jill wrote:

I highly doubt I'd agree to an induction without a very darn good reason,
but I have been wondering "what if", if the doctors offer me an induction
because they think the baby is big. First of all, I would never consider an
induction based on size if I wasn't near my due date anyway. I feel that the
baby needs to stay put as long as possible, so I would not agree to a
big-baby induction at less than maybe 38-39 weeks. Also I KNOW guesstimates
as to size and u/s are inaccurate late in the game. So I wouldn't
necessarily be in a hurry to induce anyway just because they SAY the baby is
big.

Right. Not to mention that even if the baby is big,
induction for suspected large baby doesn't seem to reduce
problems.

I've also heard first time moms are more likely to end up needing a
c-section if they are induced earlier than the baby is ready to come.

Yep. And with that c-section comes additional risks to
all future babies you might have. So, it's worth saving the
c-section for when/if you REALLY need it.

I do believe the baby will come when ready etc.

Just keep telling yourself that.

But, I'm just asking anyway....is it totally horrible if a dr offers to
induce on your due date? I have no plans for a natural (drug-free)
childbirth anyway and as bad as it sounds, I am not saying I would do it,
but it IS tempting -- not really for convenience's sake, but because it
would take a lot of the unknown out, allow my husband to have a better
chance of being able to get off work without penalty, alleviate my fears of
the unknown etc, and there are a few more reasons I'd rather not get into,
but it's not "for convenience". I'm just asking... To me it is exciting to
wait for labor to start, and try to guess what day she'll come etc. But to
an extent I am curious about inductions especially right at the due date
(not before).

Well, technically anything other than a true medical
reason for induction IS convenience, though some reasons are
obviously better than others. The thing is that it's not just
a matter of induced labors being potentially more painful.
Induced labor also have very real risks, and therefore you
really shouldn't consider induction unless the risks of NOT
inducing are greater than the risks of inducing. Induced
labors are more stressful for the baby. Induced labors increase
the risk of uterine hyperstimulation, which can reduce oxygen
to the baby or lead to a c-section. First babies have a median
gestation of 41 weeks + 1 day, so even thinking about taking
the baby on the due date may be earlier than the baby is ready
to come. Relax. Let things happen on their own. Everything
will work out fine in the end. Give your baby the chance to
tell you when she's ready to come.

Best wishes,
Ericka