Old January 8th 04, 06:37 PM
Banty

Default Rant: Over indulgent parents strike again

In article , Nan says...

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 17:27:41 GMT, dragonlady
wrote:
Not always. Many years ago, I was a much in demand babysitter. I sat
for a new family in the neighborhood without stating a price up front,
and was stunned to get paid about 1/3 of the going rate. When that
neighbor called again, I told her my normal hourly rate (actually, since
she had 6 kids who were, um, challenging, the price I quoted was about
twice my normal hourly rate), and she told me that she would only pay
what she'd paid before, so I turned the job down. She called my mother
to complain that I was a lazy, spoiled teenager who was turning down
legitimate work! Fortunately, Mom knew what was going on, and told her
that I didn't need to work for pitifully low wages -- if she wanted me,
she'd have to pay what I was worth.

I think my cousins got $5 per sidewalk when they were doing it about 40
years ago; they invested in a snow blower, so they could take on more
clients, and did very well. I no longer live where snow happens, but
I'm guessing the "going rate" for shoveling is WELL above $10!

Probably 17 years ago my mom would have the newspaper boy mow her
lawn. It was a fairly large back yard, but a tiny front yard. We
supplied the mower and the gasoline. She paid him $15.

My son used to shovel sidewalks 10 years ago, and got paid around
$10-$15 per, back then.

Funny how people seem to think $10 is a windfall for something the
going rate is likely much higher for currently.

Nan

On the other hand, I used to hire a couple of young babysitters (10 year old
kids who live on my block) to watch my son for an hour or two, provided that
their parents were in the house too, in case of emergencies (this being
understood with the parents). When the father of one found that I paid a 22
year old babysitter, who sometimes does overnights, more than his 10 year old,
he got mad and sent his son for 'the difference'. I sent him back. Dad called.
I told his Dad that, by design of the babysitting job, his boy takes on
considerably less responsibility than the 22 year old - I'm not relying on the
10 year old for responsible action in emergencies; he's not on tap to feed my
son; he doesn't have to get him ready for school. So, that was the end of his
son babysitting. IOW, "no deal".

Banty