Old April 25th 08, 12:56 AM posted to alt.child-support
Bob Whiteside

Default TO ALL DEADBEATS OUT THERE!

"Dusty" wrote in message ...
"DB" wrote in message
.. .

"teachrmama" wrote in

There are also men who will have their economic stimulus rebate seized
even though they owe nothing, it will be sent to mom, the courts will
figure out that it was not owed to mom, and the men will be told that
they have to sue mom to get it back, since it was already disbursed.
Then the men will be considered beneath contempt for taking money from
their children.

I thought the subject was addressed to all Americans who owe about
$32,000 each.

When are they going to start paying their debt obligation or should the
government just start garnishing 30% of their wages?

What do you mean, 30%?!? The Feds say that they can take up to 65%!!!
I'd love for there to be a 30% cap on CS!! I might be able to buy a
half-way decent used car, of buy a good pair of shoes. 30%, I'd bloody
love to see that!

When discussing percentages and CS it is very important to ask the
question - "A percent of what?"

For instance, the 65% number is the maximum garnishment limit. It has
nothing to do with the percentage of a person's income they can be ordered
to pay. With imputed incomes an NCP can be ordered to pay in excess of 100%
of their actual income.

And when people start talking about percentages of incomes it needs to be
clarified whether they are talking about a percent of gross income or a
percent of net income or the percent of an imputed income or a percentage of
income after spousal support is deducted. And to make it more complex it
needs to be clarified whether the percent applies to the basic CS order or
does it include add-ons for healthcare, life insurance, child care, special
needs, etc.

Then to make it more complicated some states (like mine) set a statutory
percentage of how much of a person's income can be taken to cover arrears.
In my state the limit is 25% over the basic order amount up to 50% of net
income after deducting state defined allowable expenses like taxes,
mandatory union dues, etc. But that amount does not include any of the
add-ons. And because the first dollars paid go toward the CS obligation,
the limits on withholding can cause spousal support to go into arrears.

If, like Dusty suggested, I could have paid only 30% of my net income, my
support obligation would have been less than half of what was actually
ordered. The problem is court orders are made based on individual pieces of
the financial requirements, and the courts never add up all the pieces to
determine the final impact of their orders.