Old April 27th 08, 04:13 AM posted to alt.child-support
Bob Whiteside

Default How does relocation affect payments?

"Ned" wrote in message
I pay child support on my own with no involvment of the courts, but I
suspect that at anytime, the CP can decide to take me to court since
she has made the threat several times for things such as me mailing
her a check as oppsoed to depositing it into her account and for
allowing both daughters to meet. Anyway, I live in NY and plan to
relocate to Florida. If she takes me to court while I live in FL, will
FL laws apply or will NY laws apply?

The laws in the state where the child resides will apply.

However, if you were not married to the child's mother at the time the child
was conceived, or if you never formally acknowledged paternity by signing a
voluntary declaration of paternity document, the laws of her state will not
apply until paternity is formally established.