Old June 4th 04, 03:58 PM
Bob LeChevalier

Bob LeChevalier wrote:
Spelling is convention. The Founders of the United States did not pay
much attention to how things were spelled. Shakespeare was even less
consistent - he spelled his name several different ways. Are you
going to say that Shakespeare had trouble with language?

Aboslutely. This is one of my pet peeves with HS/college "English"
classes: all the time that is squandered discussing what Shakespeare
(or other "greats") *Really_Meant* by e.g. some verse in some
sonnet.

That is not a discussion of his language.

Let's take one of your favorites, Bob. "All men are created equal..."
How would Shakespeare have written *that*? Some vague flowery
ambiguous fuzzy wording WTF-did-he-really-say statement ???

Actually, Jefferson was quite a master of the flowery phrase himself.

Shakespeare did *NOT* have a command of the language; his brain was
something akin to a random word generator.

The judgement of an ill-educated racist as to such matters is
laughable.

lojbab
--
lojbab

Bob LeChevalier, Founder, The Logical Language Group
(Opinions are my own; I do not speak for the organization.)
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban:
http://www.lojban.org