Old May 22nd 04, 07:11 AM
Bob LeChevalier

Holger Dansk wrote:
I can't even talk the way these people talk:

'Why you ain't,' 'Where you is' ...
And I blamed the kid until I HEARD THE MOTHER TALK.

And then I HEARD THE FATHER TALK ...

They speak a different dialect. This has always been a country of
multiple dialects, and the dialectal variation was never nearly as
extreme as it is in much smaller England. You can't talk the way
"these people talk" (not that it had anything to do with "lower
economics", which the poster is clearly using as a euphemism for
race), but I'll bet you can't talk Cockney or Yorkshire either, and
you probably can't understand them half as well as you could
understand these folk.

No, it is not a dialect.

Yes it is. YOur opinion against those of a professional linguist, and
I'll believe the linguist.

It is a very poor and wrong value system that many black people have.

That is not what determines how they talk on a street corner.

They do not value education and the good things in life.

Perhaps, but not relevant to their language.

Without a sense of values a person is lost with nothing to
build character and his/her life on. They don't know how to act or
behave.

I know a lot of people, of a variety of cultures, who know perfectly
well how to behave, and choose not to do so anyway. They simply don't
value your values. That doesn't mean that they have no values.

It's very important that they get this corrected immediately if
they ever want to amount to anything.

Maybe they don't. They aren't obliged to.

Black people have been in this country for hundreds of years

I doubt that any black person has been in this country much more than
100 years, and most of those are in old-age homes.

and many do not and/or can not speak English.

They do. But they don't speak your dialect. Nor do you speak the
Queen's dialect, and I'm sure that there are British people who look
down their nose at you for that fault.

Hispanics and Asians can speak
English pronouncing words like police, President, incident correctly
after just a few days.

Some can, some can't. I know some of each category that cannot make
themselves understood in English after having been here for a few
years.

But there is no "correctly" wrt to pronunciation, anyway, despite your
prejudice.

Blacks don't give a damn. They don't understand that they should value
education and speaking, walking, sitting, etc., correctly.

They aren't obliged to accept your value system.

lojbab
--
lojbab
Bob LeChevalier, Founder, The Logical Language Group