Old May 5th 06, 05:57 PM posted to misc.kids

Default toddler likes intense flavors, smells

-L. wrote:
Ericka Kammerer wrote:
I don't know why you would see this as abnormal.

I didn't really see it as "abnormal" but just a little "different". I
just didn't know if other kids do this or not.

In my experience, this is quite common. Maybe it's just
the group of peers that is out of the ordinary?

Perhaps. The other Moms comment on how their kids would never eat "X"
or "y" and comment on how he seems to be fascinated with smells and
textures. He also is obsessive about the lemons and pickles thing -
will cry for lemon slices and would eat an entire lemon if I'd let him.

All of my toddlers have eaten lemons. It seems
to be a stage they go through. Later on, some continue
to like strong flavors and others don't, so I don't think
it's some sort of pre-programming to like strong flavors.
I think a lot of parents say "my kid would *never* eat X"
just because they never give the child X because they
assume the child won't like X. How many people assume
a toddler would like a slice of lemon? After a certain
point, many *will* dislike it, but there seems to be
a window around 2yo when many (not all, but many) toddlers
are pretty adventurous, even if you later find them on
the "white food only" diet.

Best wishes,
Ericka