Old August 1st 04, 11:36 PM
Jim Winters

Default California Arrears

Hi all,

Been a while. Anyway, the kids for which I paid CS through the Fresno County
DA (actually paying back AFDC given to mother who was a professional welfare
collector) are now grown and on their own. No more CS to pay. However, there
were times that I was on State Disability where there was no way I could
ever pay the total obligations based on 25% deductions from my State
Disability. My obligation was $1150 per month, I made about $1200 per month
in disability of which 25% ($400) was deducted and sent to Fresno for CS,
leaving a balance due each month of $850 per month! I was severly disabled
twice for a period of a year both times, making me unable to pay in full for
24 months casuing an arrears of about $20,000! I of course, have always paid
when I could without question, but now I am paying only arears with interest
at 10%! That $20,000 combines with interest has made my obligations
skyrocket tot he point that I will be paying the rest of my life. I have
asked Fresno to take a look at this and they state that there is nothing
retroactively that can be done. I have also asked if there can be a
settlement whereby I could pay part or all of the principal arears at one
and dismiss the interest, I received an mphatic NO!!

ANy suggestions for somone who is not a deadbeat at all, has always paid but
just ended up being the victum of being disabled and unable to work?

(For those that might queston, one disability was due to a severe heart
attack and surgery, the other was due to severly fractured vertabrae in my
back, both of which kept mne down for a year, but not so much to keep me
permantly down so that I could go back to work)

--

Jim Winters
VP Sales and Marketing/Webmaster
Quality Trading, Inc.