Old July 6th 04, 08:54 PM
Penny Gaines

Default School Choice (was How Children REALLY React To Control)

Gray Shockley wrote in :

That is about the level of religious content of schools here.**Another
difference is that most schools have an annual Christmas play, which may
be based around the Biblical nativity play.**We*do*have*lessons*in*what
could best be descibed as "comparitive religion": learning about other
religions.

Most schools in Britain have a school uniform: one school I pass
frequently has many girls wearing a white hijab (sp? - Muslem
head-dress).**Because they**are*all*white*I*assume*that*this*is*a*set
piece*of*uniform.**I*don't know how this would be handled in the US, if a
school was to have a uniform.

Just to remind any of the U.S. guys: that's a "state religion"
that is being discussed in ref to education.

Well, a hijab is required by a religion which is not the state religion.
The uniforms required by the schools which are part funded by the state
religion are indistinguishable from the uniforms worn in state schools that
are wholly secular.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three