Old June 4th 04, 05:14 AM
Leslie

Default Why does this bother me? (re - breastfeeding)

As a person who did not/does not breastfeed, why does it bother me when
people say breastfeeding in public is "inappropriate" - and particularly
it's inappropriate in a **restaurant**?? Ugh! I can't imagine how it makes
breastfeeders feel. It's absolutely insane. First of all how is feeding a
baby, in any fashion, "inappropriate" in a restaurant?? Where better to
feed them?? Well, from the responses apparently the bathroom would be
better - ick!

Maybe it bothers you because you realize that bf is just about feeding a baby,
not some kind of sexual thing. If you can bottlefeed in public, and grownups
can eat in public, then a baby should be able to nurse in public!

This mini-vent comes from comments on a non-pregnancy board. I don't know
what it is. I have no problem if you don't like children, don't want
children, fine. But why are people so hateful and rude? Ugh!

Okay, done, feel better

Have any of you who breastfeed in public ever had anyone say anything rude
to you? Just curious.

Only my grandmother. :-) Other than that, I was once asked by a security guard
ion a museum if I wouldn't like to go to the lounge to nurse. IT was phrased
as though she thought I would be more comfortable there, but I definitely got
the vibe that SHE would be more comfortable with me there! I just smiled and
said we were fine.

Oh, and the YMCA had a sign posted that you couldn't nurse your baby in public
there, only in the lounge. I didn't have a baby then, but if I had I was going
to nurse it all over the place there and dare them to say something.

Here's my vent--I NEVER see anyone nursing in public. Thus I assume that
people are either expressing milk into bottles for when they go out, hiding in
bathrooms, or just waiting until they get home to feed. The end result is that
a nursing baby continues to be a rare sight around here, which only adds to the
perception of NIP as shocking. I wish they would hold a nurse-in around here!

Leslie