Old February 20th 06, 03:56 PM posted to misc.kids

Default Question for religious parents

wrote:
Would you have a problem with your child being friends with an atheist,
or being friends with a child who's parents are atheists?

No, but that doesn't mean there aren't people who (sadly)
would have a problem. Depends on the person.

The reason I ask is that I am an atheist and I have a daughter who is
almost two and I live in a very religious area. Now that my daughter is
not really a baby anymore I am starting to think about these issues and
wondering if she is going to have trouble having friends.

Neither your child nor you should be discussing religion
with other folks. There's a reason Miss Manners declares religion
out of bounds for polite social conversation. You will likely
run into some situations where the subject comes up (even in
school, where it's not uncommon for teachers to poll the kids
on who belongs to what religious/cultural background when
discussing all the various winter holidays), but by and large
it's best avoided. Teach your child (as she gets older) not
to ask others personal questions about their religion and help
her develop some responses when others ask her about hers
("I prefer to keep my religious beliefs private" or something
neutral like that).

Best wishes,
Ericka