Old March 10th 04, 10:41 PM
kylee

Default 4 year old wetting pants.

well at this point I am ready and willing to try just about anything.
Talking to her and punishing her for it obviously isn't working.
She is even more hard headed than her mother.. and that is saying something.
It's pretty much just been a power struggle between the two of us that is
just getting worse. So you are probably right.

Should be interesting. Cross your fingers for me

Kylee

"dragonlady" wrote in message
In article ,
"kylee" wrote:

I have put her back in pullups, mainly for when we are out and at night.

The
only thing is she won't even bother even trying to go to the bathroom.

She
will just wet in the pull up till it's soaked then ask for a new one.

Yet
she won't have a bm in her pants. She will hold it as long as she has

to if
we aren't near a restroom .. though she has no problems wetting. I

dind't
want to put her in diapers again cause I was afraid it would just

basically
give her the signal that she didn't have to try any longer. Am I wrong?

I think it depends on how you think of using a toilet. If you think of
it as a discipline issue, so will she.

Right now, much of her life is out of her control. She can't control
the fact that Dad is gone, that she has a new sibling to contend with,
that Mom's attention is necessarily split leaving less for her (and if
you even TRY to give her ALL of your attention while you are also caring
for a newborn, you'll kill yourself!). Toileting is something that is
entirely in HER control: she decides whether and where to pee and poop.
If you make it a discipline issue, I think she may decide to hold out
for a VERY long time, and you will be forced to escalate the
consequences (either positive consequences for using it, or negative
consequences for NOT using) until she decides to go along with your
desires -- essentially, passing control for this over to you, too.

On the other hand, if you just decide to NOT make an issue of it, and
tell her to let YOU know when she's ready again, she may feel more in
control of the issue (because she WILL be in control) and she may move
back to panties sooner.

I could be completely wrong -- lord knows, I am often enough! -- but I'm
guessing that if you don't make an issue of it and don't worry about it,
she'll be back in panties soon.

meh