Old July 6th 06, 01:43 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
CY

Default Second bout of mastitis -- what can I do about this?

There are lots of things that can help...

1) Don't wear underwired bras, or bras that are too small (go braless often)
2) Don't let yourself get engorged. If you feel full and baby doesn't want
to nurse, pump a little to relieve any engorgement.

Actually - here is a really good resource...
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...-mastitis.html

hth

CY
"Carlye" wrote in message
oups.com...
DS will be five weeks old on Friday. I had one bout of mastitis,
beginning when he was 9 days old. I had a second bout (different
breast) beginning this past Saturday, when he was 29 days old.

First, since it's a different breast this time, am I safe to assume
this is an entirely different infection, or could it be the same one?
I was on an antibiotic for 10 days with the first instance.

Second, what can I do to prevent this, other than making sure his latch
is good and my breasts are drained? I never had mastitis with DD, but
now I've had two instances, both with pretty significant fevers/chills,
and this one with really quite severe pain, and a much, much bigger,
more pronounced, and harder red area. I'm also experiencing a slower
recovery.

Thanks for the help.

-Carlye
DS 6-2-06