Old November 17th 03, 05:02 PM
Jill

Default Losing weight during first trimester....

I have read that depending on your weight before pregnancy, you should
expect to gain between 15 and 25 pounds during a normal pregnancy. The more
overweight to start would be the ones who gain less weight, i.e. 15 pounds,
and someone who starts out underweight would gain 25-30lbs...

I know I can't guess how much weight I will actually gain, but I am trying
to figure out what I may be able to expect...I started out a few pounds
overweight- well ok, I admit, to be thin like I was once, I'd need to lose
30-40 pounds as it is ("thin" for me is 110, I am only 5'2). I lost over 10
lbs in the first trimester.....should I expect to gain all that back and
THEN the baby weight, or will I possibly only gain 15-25 lbs from the 2nd
trimester weight which is 10 pounds down for me?

I have a friend who's doctor advised her to not do any extreme measures but
to try to eat reasonably and try to not gain any more than 20 pounds with
her first. I also know a lot of people, thin and average to slightly
overweight, who gained what I consider enormous amounts of weight (to me),
like 50-65 pounds. The only reason I worry about this is if I gain that much
weight I will feel HORRIBLE- I can already tell I felt so much worse after
gaining 30-40 pounds anyway. So I do sort of worry about what I will weigh,
I am sure I can lose after the baby, it's just during my pregnancy I have a
fear of weighing more than I am comfortable physically weighing.

I figure I have no control over pregnancy weight gain as long as I eat
reasonably and don't go overboard (so far, I can barely eat so still not a
problem! But if I get to where I am hungry all the time and can eat
anything, I will not just pig out.)

Anyway does anyone know if you're already a bit overweight if it IS a safe
goal to try to keep it at about 15 pounds? I really do not want to gain more
than 20 if I can healthfully for me and the baby, manage so...

I was just thinking that if *I* gained 30 pounds from my actual starting
weight before the 1st trimester weight loss, that is a big deal and will
feel awful, it's too much of a weight for me, at 5'3. If I gained 30 pounds
from my weight after losing in the 1st trimester, that wouldn't be so bad.

Any comments? BTW, I am not worried anough about it to diet or anything, but
I have been worrying about it and hoping I wont gain too much weight. A 120
pound pre-pregnancy lady could weight my current weight at 9 months
pregnant- that's a sad feeling! I have also been told that it's pretty easy
for a lot of women to quickly lose the pregnancy weight afterwards
especially while breast feeding, and a lot of it is water weight...