Old January 24th 04, 07:35 PM
Sidheag McCormack

Default washing cloth diapers? - Chinese prefolds

k3 e81 writes:

Thanks to all who replied (and will reply). These diapers are 100%
cotton, 4X8X4 Chinese prefolds. Seems that weebees method is overkill -
they wash poopy diapers 1X in cold, then add peed dipes, and wash twice
- once in warm, once in hot - all with washing soda and detergent. But
they don't soak the pooped ones, so that may be why. Interesting how
there are so many methods out there!

Probably a *lot* depends on your machine as well - incidentally I'm still
mystified as to why the typical US washing machine seems to be so primitive
by comparison with the typical W. European one! We dry pail, then do a cold
rinse without detergent and then a 60C cottons/linens cycle with non-bio
washing powder. For the latter we press the "extra wash" and "extra rinse"
buttons, but that's definitely machine dependent - ours is designed to
default to the economical/environmentally friendly option which isn't quite
enough for nappies. This works fine, including for very thick shaped
nappies which are harder to get clean than prefolds IME. So I don't think
it's the lack of soaking that's the issue, since we never soak. Nothing
beats experimentation though...

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003