Old June 26th 07, 04:19 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy
xkatx

Default What to mix with formula besides water to make taste better?

wrote in message
My daughter is about 7months old, and my wife's milk supply is
starting to diminish.
We started mixing cereal with her milk to bulk it up about a month or
so ago, and she took to that readily.
We have been trying to find something to help supplement her
increasing diet, especially when she is hungry at night.
Although we have had some success mixing small amounts of formula with
breast milk and cereal, she will not take the formula when mixed with
water.

Then if this is the case, too bad for her. She needs to either a) go back
to the breast or b) take formula when made properly only, and that is made
with water, as the directions say.
I believe it's also not recommended to put baby cereals into bottles, as it
is thicker and all that. Not 100% sure of the reasons, but I think I've
heard something about choking due to the cereal being thicker. Mix your
formula with water, put some cereal in a bowl, add some of your already made
formula in the cereal and feed with a spoon. Try this just before bed time,
and maybe she'll hold off longer through the night?

We have been trying the Enfamil lacto free lipil (which my son took
with no problem when he was an infant, but I guess my daughter is
pickier)

Every baby seems to be so different, even other older/younger siblings and
twins.
My first 2 would take whatever. Both boys would eat it if it was food,
regardless if it came from a breast or from a bottle. Food was food. One
showed definite preference for a breast over a bottle and breast milk over
formulas. Both boys also had to have the soy based formulas and one had a
slight reaction to cow's milk shortly after a year of age, but a month
later, when tried again, he was fine. DD1 started refusing a breast. She
started to lose weight around 5 months or so, but she took a bottle just
fine. DD2, to this day, will absolutely refuse a bottle of any sort (we've
tried EBM only, not formula, and she refuses the bottle) She also refuses
to do much of anything with a sippy cup, other than play with it, and she is
now 8 months. Point is, just because one was this way doesn't always mean
another will be.

Clearly we want to find something she will eat besides breast milk so
that we are prepared.

If she's 7 months, does she have any other food she eats? (cereals, pureed
food, whatever?)

1) Is there anything else we can try to mix with formula besides water
to make it better tasting? I am wondering about soy milk, or rice
milk.

Yes, and no. You need to make the formula with water. Not cow's milk, not
soy, rice or breast milk. Not juices or sodas. Formula needs to be
originally prepared with water. From that point, you can

2) Anyone know of a better tasting formula to try?

No. I've never really drank formula, and I don't know many that have either
that would be able to say which one tastes good and which ones don't. I
wouldn't be so sure to jump to the conclusion that it's the particular brand
of formula that she doesn't like. Maybe, as others have suggested, a nurse
in would be beneficial? It might be worth a shot.