Old July 7th 06, 04:05 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

Default Second bout of mastitis -- what can I do about this?

I bought some of my bras before, some after. I have stopped using any
underwire bras and am now opting for cupless "sports bra" type nursing
bras. I don't -think- that's the problem.

hmm, it depends on your size, but I always find that kind of top squashes
the breasts, perhaps in a more subtle way, but squashes non the less. Do you
wear it at night, perhaps you could cut that out if you do.

Actually, I wonder if the
problem could be as simple as one night of not getting to breastfeed as
much as usual and having to sleep on my opposite side? DS was
hospitalized Friday night and I didn't have my pump with me, plus in
order to sleep next to him in the hospital I had to sleep on the
opposite side, which is usually the more engorged side. Could this do
it?

absolutely, which hopefully means this is a one off (or rather a two off!)

Thirdly, you might want to try lecithin supplements -- some people swear
by
them.

I will try this.

if it's a blocked duct that turns into mastitis this has a good chance of
helping, if not it probably doesn't

have you had any blocked ducts at other times that have cleared without
getting infected?

Anne