Old June 4th 05, 05:48 PM
dragonlady

In article k.net,
"Don" wrote:

"dragonlady" wrote
Why is it you think the city "owes" you a paved road in front of your
house?

Where did I ever claim that?
The street was already here when we built our home 3 years ago but it was
full of potholes, trash was everywhere and the paving was very thin as it
was installed in the early 60's. No one else lives on this street. I cleaned
up the trash, filled the potholes and then repaved the whole street. Street
maintenance is paid for with property tax, which we paid.

Aren't you the person that claimed to pay property tax through your rent?
If so, then its no wonder all of this is difficult for you to understand.

Do you honestly believe that my landlord doesn't include the amount of
property taxes he pays when he determines how much to charge for rent?
That if his property taxes go up he won't pass that through to me by
increasing my rent went the lease comes due? I may not pay it directly
-- but if he didn't charge ME enough to cover it with my rent check,
he'd go broke in a hurry.

And where is the limit to that?

Ask the politicians, as they are the people that make the rules.
Unfortunately they are also the people that don't obey the rules.

Someone has to make decisions about how the limited $$ gets spent; it
makes more sense to me that the people we elect makes these decisions --
not individuals.

So, if they collect money to pave the road and then don't do it, then what?
I doubt that you would be so gratuitous if you actually paid property tax.

But they didn't collect money to pave the road -- they collect taxes for
a general fund that, among other things, maintains roads. Then they
decide exactly where the money is to go. You have the right to go to
the city (or whatever entity owns that road -- you'd have to find that
out first, and sometimes there are disputes about that) and tell them
that you think your road needs repaving. However, they have the right
to say that the need for maintenance on another road is higher -- or the
need to install better safety equipment somewhere else -- or a new
bridge -- or all kinds of other things.

If each citizen had the right to pay up front for the one thing that
THEY thought was most important to them, and then insist that the
city/state/federal government reimburse them, things would be a mess.

As someone else pointed out, since yours is the only property on the
road, and therefore yours is the only family using the road, you might
want to check and make sure it isn't a private road.