Old March 28th 07, 04:32 PM posted to misc.kids
Clisby

Default vomitting - why?

Stephanie wrote:
I am concerned about a child in my care at my family daycare. Normally it
would be up to Mom to pursue this with her ped. She is not going to do this.
I don't know why. I won't go on about my feelings about this Mom. I cant
tell if her actions are deliberately trying to hide something or if she is
the height of lazy. Suffice it to say this is not the first unaddressed
issue.

So. Little boy, 5yo. Has SOME kind of learning disability. It is as yet
unidentified. Per Mom, ped has never commented on his development (despite
the fact that at age 4 he had not uttered a single word ever). My point to
the backstory is that he is disadvantaged in some way, but I don't know how.
Oh another part of the backstory, he is chronically sleep deprived. How do I
say this without sounding like a total bitch? I guess I don't. I risk it. He
is a virtual wild animal at home. When he wants something he grunts and
whines. Throws himself on the floor. Mom does not put him to bed really. She
just tells him to get in bed where he plays with toys and watches tv until
he collapses, often around 11:00 or 12:00. Then up to be to my house for
7:00. If I have him nap here, he is up even later at home.

So. Every so often he will have a spell of vomitting. About once a week, at
snack time he will look green and even more tired than usual. Then he will
get sick one to three times and fall asleep, regardless of the chaos around
him.

There does not seem to be any corrolation with food, though I am very
concerned about a food allergy since they can go from benign to life
threatening in a short period of time.

Can shear exhaustion cause vomitting? I plan on calling my ped, but I want
to wait until afternoon when they are done with the morning rush.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Two things came to mind; either/both might be completely off base.

Is there any chance he comes to you without eating breakfast? Hunger
sometimes makes me nauseated. Not to the point of vomiting, but I'm
sure I know how to recognize the symptoms and do something about it a
lot quicker than a 5-year-old would.

Does he complain of headaches? I get nauseated almost any time I get a
bad headache, which is why I'm popping 3 ibuprofen at the first headache
twinge.

Clisby