Old July 24th 04, 05:33 PM
Jody Pellerin

Default Boiling latex and silicone nipples

If I didn't boil them every time (including the nipples), this person would
never drop it.
"Sue" wrote in message
Boiling nipples do weaken them as does the dishwasher. However, you don't
need to boil them at all if you just wash them in hot soapy water or the
dishwasher. Also, you should take the nipple off before you microwave it and
then put it back on once the milk is warm.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

"Jody Pellerin" wrote in message
There's been a bit of a debate between myself and somebody in the family
over boiling and microwaving nipples. From what I was told, by boiling

latex
nipples, it dries them out and they flake in the babies mouth. And I guess
microwaves do the same thing to them. I use the microwave to warm my
daughter's bottles, however, ours is very weak so it's usually just at

room
temperature and I shake it very well afterwards to avoid hot spots.
Anyways, to end this debate and to be safe because I boil my bottles and
nipples after every use to sterilize them, I replaced all latex nipples

with
silicone nipples. So when I told this person that they said it does the

same
thing to them... which I'm not quite agreeing on but I can't find any info
on it so I can't be certain.
Can you guys give me any info on boiling them and this issue with them
flaking? Does the same thing happen to silicone nipples?