Old July 13th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.scouting.usa,misc.kids,alt.parenting.solutions,rec.arts.books.childrens
dragonlady

Default New Book Revives Lost Notions of Boyhood

In article ,
(Wendy E. Betts) wrote:

In article . com,
wrote:
When I was young I used to go out and play in streams, ponds, and the
like. By myself.

I took my son to the river to do a bit of pond-dipping.

His mother made me take chemical disinfectant to wash his hands
afterwards!

That stuff might well be mroe dangerous than the pond. :-\

Not if you're talking about something like Purell.

And, given the amount of giardia (sp?) in our water these days,
disinfecting after playing in a pond is not such a bad idea.

(Keep in mind that this is from someone who doesn't use anti-bacterial
ANYTHING in her home, because she believes that it generally serves to
breed stronger bacteria. I mean, other than regular soap or detergent
and water. I avoid the stuff labeled "anti bacterial". However, the
"waterless" stuff that's being sold to clean your hands when you are
where you can't get to a sink is something I DO keep around for picnics
and stuff -- and, as I said, is probably a good idea after pond dipping.)

Heck, I'm told that even the water in the Boundary Waters (where I used
to drink straight from the lakes) is contaminated and not safe to drink.