Old June 23rd 07, 03:44 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
cjra

Default No Wrap Shower

On Jun 19, 7:48 am, HELP!! wrote:
Thanks for the reply Ericka. I know it sounds funny, but this
monstrosity is intimate. We are both from large families and have 20
aunts & uncles and 60+ first cousins. Include a very trimmed down
list of close friends and you get a 100+ guest shower, all of which
expect to be invited.

I hear you loud and clear. We live far away from our families so
didn't have to deal with this, but my family is large, and showers (or
parties of any sort) quickly get out of hand. People who are not from
big families often just don't *get* it (I have 60 first cousins on my
dad's side alone, and as many of them are already grandparents,
multiple layers of other cousins as well).

But no, there is no way to ask for anything in particular about the
gifts. Just open them thoughtfully, but quickly. You won't have 100
gifts, and likely family groups will offer one joint gift, which
should make it shorter. Also, half the party will be uninterested and
doing something else anyway, at least that has been my experience at
large showers (which in my family, are always co-ed).

Just relax and have fun, and be excited that your little one has so
many people excited to meet him/her.