Old July 27th 05, 03:44 AM

Default Hillsborough County (NH) settles jail death lawsuit

Nice to know we're worth only $65,000 to our kids if we croak.

MANCHESTER, N.H. (AP) - Hillsborough County has settled a lawsuit by
the family of a man who died of injuries suffered while he was being
held in the county jail.

Brian Armstrong, 41, died in January 2000, three days after being
released. Jail officials said Armstrong fell backward onto his head
when a guard pushed him into his cell. They said Armstrong had rushed
the cell door when food was being delivered.

His former wife had asked for $1 million for their son. The county
settled for $65,000, including legal fees. The money will be placed in
trust for the Armstrongs' 9-year-old son.

Armstrong was jailed for five days for failure to pay child support.

State Medical Examiner Thomas Andrew had concluded Armstrong died of a
blow to the head after being pushed backward. He said Armstrong's poor
health, mainly due to alcoholism, aggravated the injury.