Old June 23rd 03, 12:08 PM
Barry Pearson

Default What is your country's attitude to "unofficial" paternity tests?

This isn't directly about child support, but some posters here clearly take
the trouble to stay aware of laws & trends on issues like this. There are many
paternity testing services in the world offering "peace of mind" or
"motherless" home testing kits. Men (etc) in the UK have a large choice of
which services to use, because many of these services are promoted on the
Internet, and are available outside the country in which they are based. Some
are based in the UK itself, but most are based in the US.

They get (unwarranted) bad press in the UK, and there is constant pressure
from some key people to have them banned, or to have use of them banned. Their
intention is to restrict paternity tests to those where the mother gives
consent and/or a court orders the test. I wonder whether this attitude is
common elsewhere. So:

1: Are there countries where such "unofficial" testing services are banned? Or
where use of them is banned?

(I believe the services themselves are banned in France, as a long-term
consequence of the Napoleonic Code).

2: Are there countries where key people appear intent on banning such
services, or the use of them?

(I have read statements by politicians in Australia that are similar to those
in the UK. I don't know if this is representative or an anomaly).

I would like to see references where possible. Thank you.

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.ChildSupportAnalysis.co.uk/