Old November 30th 05, 05:28 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default mastitis w/o fever?

fever not necessary according to my last bout...

chris

"Melania" wrote in message
oups.com...
breast redness - check
breast swelling - check
deep ache - check
sore while nursing - check
headaches - check
general aches and pains
upset tummy - check
general malaise - check
fatigue - check

No fever, though, and no discernable lump anywhere. Baby has been fussy
on that breast, and spitting/throwing up even more than usual, and
having loose poops (not that I've read that as being associated with
mastitis). Everything I've read says mastitis is accompanied by a
fever.

Maybe it's just a plugged duct and I'm also coming down with something?

I've been massaging, nursing lots on that side, compressing gently
while nursing, taking hot baths, drinking lots of water, and taking
advil. And looking everywhere for my magic bag (ds#1 uses it for a
blood pressure cuff while playing doctor).

FWIW, GIS came up with a pic that looks a lot like what I have:
http://www.breastfeeding-basics.com/...fections.shtml

The redness starts right at the areola.

I just hope it clears up soon. One day like this is plenty.

Melania