Old August 11th 05, 05:10 AM
V.

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message

So you see anyone? I've been told that bad sleep is a high risk factor
for postnatal depression and it's definititely better to spot it sooner
rather than later.

Anne

I'm definitely concerned about PPD, given a strong family history of mood
disorders. I've been diagnosed with depression and anxiety in the past, but
antidepressants never really did much (hinting that maybe my symptoms
weren't primarily depression). Finally, one Dr. suggested that maybe
depression isn't causing insomnia, but insomnia is causing depression! Sure
enough, I started taking Ambien when needed and my mood got much much
better!
On one hand, I wonder if I'm better prepared to deal with typical PPD since
I've lived the better part of my life with depression and know how to be
functional anyway.
OTOH, I'm concerned that my risk factors put me at risk of post-partum
psychosis, which I don't have coping skills for. I plan to inform my
midwife to be extra alert, and DH is on the ball.

I've done cognitive therapy, and in fact am a mental health provider, so I
sort of have those skills down. It's when they don't work or I need an
extra boost that I'd need to look to medication. During all my treatment
I've never bought an SAD light, so I think that would be my first try
(winter in Maine will get anyone), plus it's safe for bf. (right? it's just
light, so it must be!)

Of course, I could just take vitamins, exercise, and become a Scientologist!
No PPD then! I think it significant that Tom became a father through
adoption....he never even went through sympathy pregnancy!