Old July 5th 06, 11:27 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Carlye

Default Second bout of mastitis -- what can I do about this?

DS will be five weeks old on Friday. I had one bout of mastitis,
beginning when he was 9 days old. I had a second bout (different
breast) beginning this past Saturday, when he was 29 days old.

First, since it's a different breast this time, am I safe to assume
this is an entirely different infection, or could it be the same one?
I was on an antibiotic for 10 days with the first instance.

Second, what can I do to prevent this, other than making sure his latch
is good and my breasts are drained? I never had mastitis with DD, but
now I've had two instances, both with pretty significant fevers/chills,
and this one with really quite severe pain, and a much, much bigger,
more pronounced, and harder red area. I'm also experiencing a slower
recovery.

Thanks for the help.

-Carlye
DS 6-2-06