Old March 1st 04, 03:19 AM
Marie

Default reasons I've heard for not breastfeeding

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 01:31:22 GMT, Shena Delian O'Brien
wrote:
1) dh doesn't want me to (he thinks sex would be awkward with lactating
breasts, etc)

If the man is going to be a father he really should get over it and
want the best for his children!

2) I don't like looking at my breasts (!!?)

Ok that's just an odd excuse. I think mine are unattractive but they
sure make the babies grow.

3) it's just *icky*

Sex isn't? Giving birth isn't? Changing diapers isn't? I think any
excuse is selfish. There is no reason not to breastfeed if you are
able to. I don't see how any mother could just choose not to out of
some stupid reason like "it's icky". I was in classes with a girl who
was going to be an RN in an OB's office, and when we were discussing
breastfeeding one day she said "I ain't never lettin' no baby suck my
titty!" Like it's something disgusting!

Those seem to be the top three ?!

Many women don't bother to try when they failed with the first child.
That's probably the excuse I hear the most.
And I did quit with my first, I got mastitis and was ignorant and
stupid and there was no excuse for me to make her do without
breastmilk. I went on to nurse my next two for a year and a half each,
still going with #2. I'll always regret stopping with my oldest
daughter.
Marie