Old February 21st 04, 11:29 PM

Default homework hassles

"Bebe lestrnge" wrote in message

homework hassles

Group: alt.support.single-parents Date: Fri, Feb 20, 2004, 2:41am
(EST+5) From: (V)

It is driving me crazy! I have tried everything to encourage my son to
do his work from school. He doddles. I take away privlidges, games, etc.
to no avail. OMG I feel like an evil mother about 9 pm (my time) when it
is not done. Any suggestions?

Bev wrote:
I have two very different children as well, My first in no way prepared
me for the second ! LOL! Jessica is the one that it all came to easy ,
Sara has learning disabilities and so also has an IEP.
Homework time with Sara was a very frustrating time for both of us,
From the 4th grade on was a struggle and I was told her disabilities are
what made it hard. I was told to do exactly what everyone here has
suggested, taking out the distractions was a big improvement. Right or
wrong what I did was make a schedule around her. I gave her an hour
after school to unwind and get a break from that stuff, We would use
the kitchen so that I could go back and forth from preparing dinner, and
be there in the same room, if it was more difficult I would leave the
meal go ( a good idea is to have stuff prepared in advance in your
freezer and pop it in the oven ! Some nights cereal was supper and that
is O.K. on occasion. A limit of time spent was good so we would divide
the work up in piles and say this is first and after a break we will do
that etc. this encouraged her cause she knew another break was coming
After eating I let her have more free time , and I also found any
reading was good to save to last when we could cuddle up in the big
chair and share some really good time together ! Of course as she got
bigger the chair really became uncomfortable. Hope this helps, just
remember it takes a lot of patience and with a bit of organization some
of the stress will be relieved. Good luck . Bev

Thank you Bev. The groups reaction of moving anything distracting was also
something my sister (who was a child counselor) told me to do as well. She
also said stay close, yet as Joelle said, natural consequences will also play
a part.
This has been ongoing since he was in school. I have not set up an IEP but it
might be needed with Aspberger's Syndrome. He has a mild case, and the
psychiatrist and I decided until it got bad to then do it. Frankly I just do
not know if this is part of the autism or if it is just his nature. And also
it amazes me how a child can memorize everything about the solar system and
get frustrated with timed math problems.
Take care,